After Houston Press published a leaked internal Whole Foods email that asked employees not to "specifically call out or 'promote' Ramadan," it went viral. In fact, it ended up on CNN, TIME, Fox News, NPR, Eater (of course), Huffington Post and many others.
Whole Foods is now throwing their regional management teams under the bus (apparently the leaked email was only from the region encompassing Houston) claiming it was not company-wide and that they are "still carrying and promoting halal products for those that are celebrating Ramadan this month."
· Whole Foods: "We Should Not Highlight Ramadan" - UPDATED [EOW]
· Whole Foods Denies Canceling Ramadan Promotion [CNN]
· Whole Foods Draws Controversy Over Ramadan Promotion [TIME]
· Whole Foods Instructs Stores Not to Promote Ramadan [Fox News]
· Whole Foods Ramadan Promotion Has Not Been Cancelled [NPR]
· Whole Foods Abandons Ramadan Marketing Plan (UPDATED) [HuffPo]
· Whole Foods Wire [-E-]
· Whole Foods Shit Storm, Part II [EHTX]
Photo: Whole Foods Market in Austin. [That Other Paper/Flickr]