The Hay Merchant is upon us, and by upon us, we mean that a press release sent out today says they plan on opening this November. But there was a lot more in that press release than just an opening date. Here are 8 things you might find interesting about The Hay Merchant and what's in store for Houston after they open in a few months.
1) "The name is a historical nod to Mitchell Louis Westheimer, an influential Houstonian who settled an area that would later develop into one of the most famous streets in Houston — and ultimately bear his name. In addition to many professions throughout his life, between the 1850s and 1860s, Westheimer was a successful hay merchant in Houston."
2) There will be 80 tap handles (that's beers on draft for all you non-beer nerds).
3) The cooler will have separate "zones" for lagers and ales to keep and serve them at their ideal temperatures.
4) They plan on aging beers in-house, some up to five years.
5) They're going to offer refillable growlers in 32 and 64 oz. containers.
6) Executive chef is Antoine Ware.
7) Total seating between the bar, the patio and tables = 110.
8) Food will be "classic bar items (burgers, wings, fries, etc.), but Ware will "turn them on their heads."