The world of food can be fun to eat your way through, until a poisonous reindeer lichen (reindeer moss) arrives on your plate. Phaedra Cook of Houston Press details her Russian roulette experience with the deadly moss - which is safe to eat upon careful preparation - on a recent visit to Uchi. Taking a walk on the wild side, Cook discovers how acidic moss kills, how it's prepared and the obsession behind serving the potentially toxic dish in high-end restaurants. [Houston Press]
Poisonous Moss is On the Menu at Uchi
A local food writer chronicles her interaction with a deadly dish.