- Half a Pig Head ($45), serves 4-6 people. [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Char Siu Chicken ($46), serves 4-6 people. [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Sausage Plate with in-house fermented sauerkraut [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Pozole Fries [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Chili Dog [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- General Tso's Wings [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Chicken Wrap [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Texas Chili [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
- Toffee Pie [Photo: Julie Soefer Photography]
The Hay Merchant recently rolled out new menu options similar in theme to Chris Shepherd's Underbelly next door. Known for his communal dining offerings, the James Beard Award-winning chef has launched more family-style selections, exclusively available at the Montrose beer bar.
The new family-style offerings features four meals, each large enough to serve 3 to 4 people for under $50. A roasted pig head, split down the middle is one of the latest additions. Served with tortillas, lettuce cups, kimchi salsa and pickled vegetables for a roasted pork taco dinner, the meal serves four to six people for $45. Also on the family-style menu is a giant chicken fried steak served with all the fixings ($43), house-made sausages with in-house fermented sauerkraut ($40), and a marinated chicken served with noodles and steamed buts ($46).
Family-style offerings aren't the only additions to the menu. Joining the new food line up are pozole fries (braised pork pozole sauce and cheese curds, served with cabbage, radishes, pickled jalapenos and pickled hominy), Texas chili with cornbread, chili dog, chicken wrap and General Tso's wings. Unfortunately, some menu items are no longer available. Off the menu are the nacho fries, chicken pot pie, crispy dog and fish sauce wings.
On the sweeter side of the menu, toffee pie (dulce de leche filled tart, toffee cream and honey oat crumble), tres leches waffle (chocolate waffle, kecap manis cream, Cloud 10 ice cream) and Flaming Dr. Pepper bread pudding (amaretto almond bread pudding, Dublin Dr Pepper caramel, Cloud 10 ice cream). All three dessert selections are new, courtesy of pastry chef Victoria Dearmond.