One of Houston’s favorite Tex-Mex establishments has sustained significant damage after a fire broke out in the kitchen last night.
The Houston Chronicle reports that the blaze began around 1:15 a.m at the Sylvia’s location at 6401 Woodway. The likely culprit in the fire was a wood-burning grill that, according to Houston Fire Department officials, was possibly left smoldering after dinner service and could have been hot enough to cause the fire.
Fortunately, no injuries were reported. The restaurant, however, is in decidedly worse shape. The fire caused “moderate” damage to a vent hood directly above the grill, along with adjacent sections of the wall and roof.
An employee at the restaurant tells Eater that Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen will be closed through the weekend as they contend with damage from the fire. With any luck, the restaurant will re-open next Monday or Tuesday.