When the hordes of sports fans descend on NRG Stadium for Super Bowl LI, they’re coming hungry – cheering and jeering takes energy, you know. What’s in store behind the culinary counters on game day? So much smoked meat, and much, much more.
Look for special collaborations from Ronnie Killen (burnt end sandwich, brisket sandwich, Stak fries), Chris Shepherd (44 Farms jalapeno cheese dog with jalapeno bacon jam) and Grady Spears (steak sandwich) plus a unique offering developed by student chefs at Westside High School to showcase Houston’s diversity called The Bayou City Banh Mi 51.
Competition moves off the field, metaphorically speaking, with two dishes inspired by this year’s teams: the Beantown Griller representing the New England Patriots includes slow cooked tri tip pot roast, caramelized onions and Cabot cheddar while the ATL Fried Chicken Stak features waffle fries, buttermilk fried chicken and peach marmalade BBQ sauce.
Super Bowl LI is still a few weeks away, but in the meantime, feast your eyes on the delectable dishes that will be on offer during the big game courtesy of Eater photographer Ellie Sharp.
- 100 Yard Sub Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- All-American Pigskin Burger
- Smoked Brisket Sandwich Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- Ronnie Killen’s Burnt Ends Sandwich
- Drunken Pear Salad Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- Grady Spears’ Steak Sandwich Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- BLT Sandwich Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- Westside High School’s Bayou City Banh Mi
- Maple crusted beef tenderloin with green beans & bleu cheese Ellie Sharp/EHOU
- Smoked brisket Stak Fries