Welcome to AM Intel in the time of coronavirus, a round-up of the city’s newest bits of restaurant-related intel. Follow Eater on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-date details on how COVID-19 is impacting the city’s dining scene.
Self serve wine bar Shoot the Moon already has a second location in the works
Shoot the Moon, the soon-to-open Spring Branch restaurant with a self-serve tap wall full of wines, beers and other libations, already has a second location in the works. Shoot the Moon 2.0 is making plans to open at The Stomping Grounds, the Oak Forest development that also houses the newly-opened second location of Fat Cat Creamery. Sandra Cook, marketing director for Shoot The Moon, confirmed the location, but said there is no opening timeline as yet.
City Council approves dining on Downtown’s Main Street
On November 18, the Houston City Council approved a new measure to close of a section of Main Street in Downtown to allow for restaurants and bars along the thoroughfare to create additional outdoor dining space. The initiative, a partnership with METRO and the Downtown Management District, will close both lanes Main from Rusk to Commerce now through March 2022. That includes street space in front ofFlying Saucer Draught Emporium, Little Dipper Bar and Roma’s Pizza.
“By creating more outdoor space for dining and drinking, More Space: Main Street will make it safer and more comfortable for patrons to return to Downtown establishments, helping the food and beverage industry recover from the devastating impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic,” the city said in a statement.
Houston’s Thanksgiving parade is cancelled, but HEB’s still giving out free Turkey Day meals
For the first time in its 71-year history, Houston has cancelled the city’s annual Thanksgiving Day Parade, originally set to take place next week. Instead, H-E-B and the city will had out 5,000 free Thanksgiving meals at NRG Stadium on Saturday, November 22, the Houston Chronicle reports. Families can get their grocery box at the NRG Yellow Lot, located on Main between Murworth and McNee, at the H-E-B Family Thanksgiving Distribution on Saturday, Nov. 21 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The Thanksgiving Parade isn’t only recent cancellation due to COVID-19. Earlier this week it was announced that the Knights of Momus will not be hosting their massive annual Mardi Gras Galveston Parade in 2021, with other krewes likely to cancel their celebrations soon as well. Tillman Fertitta has also cancelled his annual Mardi Gras San Luis Salute, which last year drew 1,900 black tie guests to Galveston Island.